Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Beauty, and the Beast of a technical show.

My last entry was on acting, but that is in no way where I've spent the majority of my time here at the Barter the past couple of weeks.

I am on the run crew for Disney's Beauty and the Beast.  For those of you who don't know what a "run crew" is, they are the people who run the show backstage.  I've never been on run crew, and the trust, the friendships, the responsibility required from us is so great.  It's probably one of the most character building jobs I've ever had to do.  Not only am I learning a whole different skill set, one I've been aware of though never fully appreciated until now, but I'm learning responsibility, and most importantly, how to treat everyone working in the theatre with respect.

The show is technically difficult.  So much magic; it took us 3 hours to get through the prologue.  For three days, we went scene shift to scene shift, cue to cue trying to put the show up on its feet.  We were afraid the show wasn't going to get finished.  By Thursday night (our second night of Tech) we hadn't even gotten to the 2nd act.  The show opened Saturday.  We actually did it.  It was tough, but we did it.

Since then, the show has gotten smoother and smoother, but, sometimes, really terrifying things happen.  Like things that can kill people.  It's terrifying.  Going into detail would take too long to explain, but I can say this, I've apologized many times.

As far as my daily schedule, I get up at 8:30 for my 9:30 "Pigs" call, get done with the show at 11, maybe have an hour for lunch, go to our crew call for Beauty and the Beast at 12, finish with that show around 5, have maybe an hour and a half for dinner and then another call for B&B at 6:40, and finally get done with the day, after doing our post-show duties, at 11 at night.  We had three days of this last week.  It was exhausting.

Luckily, for our sanity and health, they are teching the other Mainstage show this week, for which we are not a part of.  So my days are pretty chill, a "Pigs"show in the morning, "Princess and the Pea," our new play, rehearsal in the afternoon, and working on my player project or doing laundry at night.

I've been here a month, and though Abingdon is becoming a home, I still get homesick.

I miss and love you all.

1 comment: